Thursday, August 20, 2015

Full Circle

So, you guys, it's been a hectic few weeks. Here's the long and short of the shenanigans:

I spent a week in an intensive musical improv class that basically re-wired my brain and it's now stuck on the act of rhyming random words....curds, birds, turds, nerds...

I celebrated my 35th birthday! When my family asked what I wanted for presents, I requested gift cards for gas and groceries. Practicality abounds in my thirties, apparently.

I dragged myself out of bed at pre-dawn hours to witness the Perseid Meteor Shower. Sitting like a weirdo in a lawn chair, in the dark, at the end of my parent's driveway, I finally witnessed my first meteor shower. ...Until my mom told me about a family vacation we took to Arizona, where we all sat on a mesa in mystical Sedona to watch intergalactic pieces of rock streak across the sky. I have zero memory of this and am super frustrated.

The most consuming part of the last few weeks - and reason for my radio silence - has been a flurry of job interviews. I suddenly went from woefully filling-out online applications to digging suits out of my closet and preparing for three interviews in a one week period. Then follow-up interviews the week after that. Oh, and the contract work I've been doing? Add that in too. Unfortunately for me and the people I live with, this all hit during PMS. In a five day period I ate an entire tube of raw Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough. Did I get sick and die? No. But I did hate myself afterward when I could barely squeeze into my Ann Taylor power suits.  (...oh well, we all know I'll do it again)

So much was happening! It was incredibly encouraging and confidence boosting. At the same time, every interview FAQ / info sheet / internet article reminds you never to discuss the interviewing process while your interviewing. I understand the logic behind it, but it doesn't leave you with much to talk or write about.

However I'm writing about it now, so you've assumed correctly that my interviewing is over. I've accepted a position at a medical association in downtown Chicago and begin work August 31st. It is a role that will be challenging - in a good way. It will allow me to move to the city and pursue my improv & musical endeavors until my heart is content.  I'll share more specifics as my employment begins, but will say that I am very excited about the choice I am making.

I hope you're happy for me, too.


2 comments: