Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Happy Anniversary

The past three weeks have been filled with the sentence, "This time last year..."

I took a mid-September holiday up to Vancouver.  I flew out on the day I had just given up my apartment the year before.

My first day back at work after said trip was the one year anniversary of embarking on my road trip in 2014. I found this the most poignant of all anniversaries.  On the day I said 'screw it' to the universe one year, I said 'yes' to a new job and routine the next.

Today, as I write this, it is the one year anniversary of my arrival in Vancouver. When last year I crossed the border crying and laughing simultaneously, today I celebrated with a stuffy, un-airconditioned ride home on Chicago public transit on my way to my pre-Vancouver improv class. And honestly? I was perfectly happy.

It's an odd feeling.  As I'm growing more comfortable with life here, Vancouver still feels like it happened yesterday. Granted I just took a trip to visit, but be it six months or 3 years I know I'll have a second home there.

Speaking of homes, I move into a new one this Saturday. The furniture and boxes I put into storage one year ago will be pulled out and driven to Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood. I will have my own couch. My own bed.  ...and it will feel so very final. 

This journey will be over.  

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear about your new digs. And oy, moving. But it'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete